In less than 2 weeks we will be in the new year. I can’t believe that, I felt like going into 2017 I only saw huge mountains to climb and now it’s already 2018 – what happened?
I am an avid YouTube watcher (it’s addicting) but one of my favourite motivational/organizational channels is Lavendaire. I also listen to her podcasts which are really soothing in the morning – seriously her voice is so calming. But she talks about a year in review a lot, she even sells a package that has you break down the year and build goals to the new one. I didn’t buy it, but I looked into my own ideas for my “year in review”. I found a simple guide online – here – and it asks four simple questions. But do not think that the fact that they are simple, that they are easy.
It was such an experience to do this. It took me about 20-30 minutes, but I feel so good and so motivated. So basically it is:
- what have you overcome/accomplished this past year?
- what have you learned?
- how do you feel about the past year?
- what’s next?
It does give you more details on how and what to focus on. But very easy overview.
It made me realize how much I’ve accomplished this year. With the mental health struggles sometimes, it is so easy to forget or overlook your accomplishments but this was that voice “no – look at all you have done, be proud” – and honestly? I am proud of myself.
What it also did was enable me to fine tune my 2018 goals. I’ve come away more from resolutions and make more goals to focus my energy on. I feel like resolutions are a maybe. I could or could not accomplish them and that’s whatever. But if I set goals, it’s something I can continuously work towards. I do however have some easy resolutions that are fun and non-demanding but would do me well in the long run.
So here are some resolutions:
- get into hiking
- re-start my yoga practice
- meditate daily
- journal daily
- listen to my motivational podcast 3x/week
- grow my faith
* They are helpful and important but I’m fairly satisfied with doing them occasionally (is that bad?)
So here are some of my goals for 2018:
- I am going to get healthy for myself
- I am going to lose 100 pounds
- I am going to graduate and get my nursing license
- I am going to grow my self-love and compassion
- I am going to start my positive habits again (ex. meditation/yoga)
These are things that are really important to me and that I will always have to work at but things that will greatly improve my life, my attitude and my health.