After a long day of work or school or both, mentally we all need a way to unwind and relax for the night. I have found it essential for my mental health to follow a routine, and no I am not always great at doing it but when I do I feel so much better and sleep so much deeper. So here’s what I do on my perfect unwind:
- Declutter. Meaning I wash the dishes or put them in the dishwasher, I put away food or clothes, or just throw out the garbage. Very minimal but just enough to leave me with that productive/clean feeling.
- Tea. I am a coffee drinker. But tea at the end of the night (my favourite being peppermint or chamomile) is just a nice way to have something warm without a lot of extra calories or caffeine. It mellows me.
- Yoga. I do some very light yoga, some heart opening stretches, and some basic positions like downward dog, child’s pose, and anything that I feel will feel good or be relaxing. I maybe do 5 minutes – just enough.
- Faith. I don’t talk about it often but I find a lot of comfort in my faith and definitely if you don’t than you can skip this. But my relationship with God has been a good thing for me. So I will just go on Pinterest or my bible app and find some passages I like or enjoy and write it out in my journal.
- Meditation. I will do this right before I sleep, because quite honestly it usually makes me fall asleep. I have a guided meditation app and it has thousands of meditations to choose from and categories too. I usually pick a sleeping themed one, thats about 5-10 minutes and do some deep breathing and visualization. For me it’s the perfect end to the day.
What’s on your perfect list?